Pages

Jan 26, 2011

My New Toy!!

I actually wanted to post this blog in November, but i wanted to have some pics to go with it.  I am a firm believer that we eat with our eyes and how better to tempt you to try the recipes that i have tried than with a few well-taken photographs.  Anyway, this ice-cream (semi freddo, actually) that i made didn't last long enough for me take any good photo's... So here is the post sans photo's...


On Friday, i celebrated my birthday!!  My fiancé spoilt me and i became the proud owner an ice-cream maker!!  I was so excited to put this fantastic gadget to use, that i did so on Sunday.  I made the Raspberry Ripple Semifreddo featured on the cover of the November edition of the Food & Home Entertaining magazine.  Using berries from my own garden!  My sister has made this recipe without the use of an ice-cream maker, so for those of you who don't have one, don't despair!  It works just as well made the old fashioned way.


Raspberry Ripple Semifreddo


4 large eggs
2 egg yolks
60 ml vanilla extract (i used vanilla sugar, so left the extract out)
210 g castor sugar
500 ml fresh cream
130 g fresh or frozen raspberries


1.  Combine the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a heatproof bowl.  Place over a pot of simmering water and beat with a handheld mixer for 20 min.  (I only had the patience to beat for 10 min!)  
2.  Once the mixture is thick and pale, remove from the heat and carry on beating for another 20 min (once again, a lack of patience on my part) until the mixture has cooled.
3.  In a separate bowl, beat the cream until stiff.
4.  Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture.
5.  Pour into a 2-litre container.
6. Process half of the berries in a blender.  Add these as well as the whole berries to the semifreddo and stir gently.
7.  If using an ice-cream maker, place in the refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight.
8.  Old-school style: place in the freezer and whisk the mixture every two or so hours to prevent large ice-crystals from forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment